Castelbolognese - Ravenna Intorno

Skip to main content
Ravenna Intorno
 
Today is Saturday 23 September 2017 Current time
 
 
You are in: Home | Locality | Castelbolognese
Locality
 

Castelbolognese

 

Its strategic position (along the via Emilia, halfway between Imola and Faenza and next to the river Senio) had been important important for the role played by Castel Bolognese in the past centuries.

Chiesa-di-Sanf-Fancesco

Today, this town is the main plank of an important agricultural and industrial centre. Despite the severe damages sustained during the Second World War, it is still possible to spot the establishment of the old fourteenth-century foundation and the following enlargement of the walls, the stronghold and of the four donjons occurred in the XV century.

A stopover at Castel Bolognese is required because it is possible to admire some important buildings. Just outside the town walls, at the crossroads with the Casolana road, stands the sixteenth-century Chiesa di San Sebastiano which has been a shrine to the war dead since 1924. It houses the fragmentary fresco Madonna col bambino (Madonna and child)attributed to Girolamo da Treviso the Young and appreciable wrought iron works attributed to Luigi Matteucci from the town of Faenza.

Along the city’s stretch of the Via Emilia road, flanked with porticoes, stands Palazzo Ginnasi, a building from the late Renaissance. Still along this road there is the eighteenth-century octagonal Chiesa di San Francesco which is famous for a big wood altar reliquary and the statue Madonna della Concezione, maybe attributed to the school of Jacopo della Quercia.

In Castel Bolognese it is also possible to admire two buildings with an unmistakable stamp of the architect Cosimo Morelli from Imola, who worked between the XVIII and the XIX century: the former Chiesa di Santa Maria della Misericordia and the Parrocchiale di San Petronio of the XV century, but almost entirely redone by Morelli. The Parrocchiale houses fine works as the fifteenth-century fresco done by Giovanni da Riolo workshop, the Crocifissione sculptural group done by Alfonso Lombardi, San Petronio, the painting by Felice Giani and finally a statue of the saint, a present from the inhabitants of Bologna to Pope Pius IX who in turn gave it to Castel Bolognese.

 Market: Tuesday and Friday morning Piazza Bernardi

 
Read +
 

On the central square Piazza Bernardi overlooks the old Convento dei Minori Francescani which is today the Municipio (town hall). Inside the building it is possible to admire some ancient paintings and an interesting collection of material for the craft of lutherie belonged to Nicola Utili (1888-1962). Still in the main square and in the entrances of the old town there is an open-air museum of bronze works done by Angelo Biancini, one of the most representative artists of the twentieth-century Italian sculpture and ceramic art.

Along the Viale Umberto I street stands the Museo Civico born from the fusion with the Antiquarium (a museum that housed historical, artistic and archaeological collections) and the Sala Giovanni Piancastelli (a picture gallery containing local artists’ works). Today in the Museo Civico it is possible to admire renewed, expanded collections provided with teaching tools.

Finally, it is interesting to visit the old Mulino di Scodellino at about two kilometres from the centre. Framed in a marvellous setting, the sixteenth-century mill houses old machinery.

As far as events are concerned, three festivals in particular must be marked: the Sagra di Pentecoste, a five-day carnival with a parade of parishes and of old crafts; the Presepe Vivente (living crib)in Piazza Bernardi just after Christmas time. The Festa Dè Brazadel de la Cros e del Vino Novello is dedicated to the lovers of typical products and it is held in Castel Bolognese on the first Sunday of November.

 
 

News

 
 
 

Videogallery

 

Photogallery

 

METEORAVENNA

 
Fri
Clear
13°/24°
 
Scattered clouds
14°/24°
 
Sun
Thunderstorm
16°/22°
 
 
ilmeteo.it