MAR Museo d'arte città di Ravenna - Ravenna Intorno

Skip to main content
Ravenna Intorno
 
Today is Saturday 15 December 2018 Current time
 
 
You are in: Home | culture | Museums | MAR Museo d'arte città di Ravenna

MAR Museo d'arte città di Ravenna - Ravenna

modern mosaics
Address:
Via di Roma, 13 Ravenna
Opening hours: info +39 0544 482041
Phone: +39 0544 482041
 
 
ABQIAAAAJV9R2POcv19E81OjCYoEnxRtuAIONJ9RnY4_JWUG2DNTPkQljBTKXPy03bFeUu7cmDgwUmz566DcpQ
13
44.413667
12.206292
ajax-map-9693

Inaugurated in 1829 as the Galleria dell’Accademia di Belle Arti, the Pinacoteca del Museo d'Arte della Città di Ravenna was transferred around 1970-72 to its current premises of the Monastery of Santa Maria in Porto, an architectural structure better known today as the Loggetta Lombardesca. The art collections from religious orders abolished under Napoleon, and subsequent donations from private individuals - which were followed by new acquisitions of works of art made by the municipality in the post-unity period - constituted the core assets of the original gallery.

The Loggetta is currently home to three permanent collections open to the public: the famous Tullio Lombardo statue of Guidarello Guidarelli sculpted in 1525 which is the subject of popular legends and romantic attention - and the bust of Sant'Apollinare, patron saint of the city, sculpted by the Danish sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen in 1822.
The historic collection, which consists of works dating from the 14th to 18th centuries, includes many painters from Romagna: Marco Palmezzano, Baldassarre Carrari, Giovan Battista Bertucci, Francesco Zaganelli, Girolamo Marchesi, Niccolò Rondinelli, Andrea Barbiani, Luca, Francesco and Barbara Longhi, are strongly featured. There are also important works by painters from Bologna, Ferrara, Veneto and Tuscany - including Guercino, Bastianino, Vivarini, Vasari, Cecco Bravo - a testimony of the range of artistic styles which has influenced the Ravenna area.
The gallery of modern art contains many works dating from the beginning of the 19th century to the first half of the 20th. Paintings and sculptures by artists from Romagna and Ravenna, mostly students at the local Academy of Fine Arts, represent the most significant part of this collection, which includes works by Ugonia, Pazzini, Torchi, Guaccimanni, Miserocchi, Saporetti, Rambelli, Toschi, Baccarini, Varoli and Salietti. There are also works by artists from Bologna and outside the region who worked for many years in Romagna, together with two works acquired respectively in 1916 and 1919: an oil on canvas by Felice Carena and a pencil drawing by Gustav Klimt.

 
Both collections document the functions carried out by the Pinacoteca of the new museum in relation to conservation, enhancement and the permanent exhibition of its artistic heritage.
Added to these two collections is the collection of contemporary art, created following numerous exhibitions - monographs or collective – held since the 1980s in areas of the Pinacoteca and also in Santa Maria delle Croci (via Guaccimanni 5 / 7). The result is a rich and varied collection, in which works by regional artists are found together with Italian artists of international renown. The collection is being continually enriched.
On the ground floor of the museum there is a permanent exhibition of Contemporary Mosaics made in the Fifties by mosaicists from Ravenna based on paintings by artists of international renown: Afro, Birolli, Cagli, Campigli, Capogrossi, Tassinari, Chagall, Corpora, Deluigi, Gentilini, Guttuso, Mathieu, Mirko, Moreni, Paulucci, Reggiani, Saetti, Sandquist, Santomaso, Vedova.
As well as housing the permanent collections and temporary exhibitions, the Museum also carries out teaching activities, aimed primarily at school children.