MIC Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche - Ravenna Intorno

Skip to main content
Ravenna Intorno
Today is Sunday 5 April 2020 Current time
You are in: Home | culture | Museums | MIC Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche

MIC Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche - Faenza

interior of the museum
Viale Baccarini, 19 - Faenza
Opening hours: info +39 0546 697311
Phone: +39 0546 697311

The International Museum of Ceramics in Faenza was founded in 1908 by Gaetano Ballardini.
That year the city celebrated the 3rd centenary of the birth of Evangelista Torricelli, the scientist from Faenza who invented the barometer. Ceramics from many Italian and European manufacturers, as well as examples of ancient Italian kilns, were collected in the rooms of the convent of San Maglorio, which later housed the Museum.

Once the exhibition closed, the pieces on display constituted that starting point for the Museum. 
Important figures from the world of art and culture, both at a national and international level, became patrons of the Museum and so helped to launch it. 
The collections of ceramics in the Museum were added to over time, by purchasing pieces, but mainly by donations, even after the devastating destruction of World War II.
Next to the Chamber of Nations, the largest original nucleus of the museum, there are collections of samples of craftsmanship by contemporary artists living in Italy, which formed the permanent exhibition of modern Italian artistic pottery in 1926.

In 1916 the Chamber of Italian majolica was started and, in the same year, the room that contains the popular pottery from various Italian regions.
In 1919 ceramics from the Far East were ordered.
In addition to these various areas there are other important functions of the Museum: teaching, studies in attribution, restoration and laboratory testing. There are also sections dedicated to prehistoric pottery and pottery from the classical world, the Middle East and Mediterranean regions, enriched in 1930 with an exceptional donation from the Swedish orientalist F R. Martin.
Donations also added pieces of African and pre-Columbian ceramics.
Contemporary Italian ceramics continued to be documented from the 30s, especially with the annual “Premio Faenza", which became an international prize from the 1960s. This allowed the Museum to acquire works by artists and craftsmen from around the world.
Since 1979 there has been a ceramics workshop, designed in collaboration with Bruno Munari, where kindergarten, elementary and middle school students can come. There are also special courses for Italian and foreign teachers and ceramists.
This historical, cultural, artistic and technical complex has, in recent years, begun to be reintroduced to the public in a more spacious setting. A new project is providing for renovation and the construction of new buildings and sections. The most recent rooms for contemporary ceramics were opened in September 1997.